Monday, January 2, 2012

Danielle - The University of Manitoba

Danielle is a new graduate of the ESL TCP. Completing the Program in the summer of 2011, Danielle had secured a full-time teaching position at The University of Manitoba less that a month later.

What is your current teaching position?
I am currently employed as an instructor in the English Language Centre at the University of Manitoba. I teach Level 5 (pre-university) speaking and writing.
I have just finished teaching my first term at the University of Manitoba. I had 49 students divided into groups of 12, who were predominantly Chinese. I consider myself extremely fortunate to have met and taught so many wonderful young people committed to improving their English. As well, the other instructors in the department were also extremely helpful and welcoming. Even though there were days when I was overwhelmed by preparation and marking, as soon as I was in the classroom, my decision to return to teaching was once again validated.

How did the ESL TCP help you in securing this job, or in completing the responsibilities associated with this job?

When I made my decision to return to teaching after a 20-year career in marketing and communications, there would have been very little chance of obtaining employment without the ESL TCP Certificate Program.

Were any contacts that you made during the ESL TCP helpful in securing this position?

All of my course instructors, practicum and observation instructors were extremely helpful as I searched for employment. They provided wonderful references and opened a few doors for me that otherwise might have been closed.

Based on your experiences since graduation, what advice would you give to an ESL TCP graduate looking for employment in this field?
Network as much as you can and keep the faith! This is a growing field and an extremely rewarding one.


For more information on the University of Manitoba's English Language Studies, please visit the following website: http://umanitoba.ca/coned/english/.

No comments:

Post a Comment